Connect     Understand     Become     Amigos!


To Travel To Cuba

Professional Research/Meetings/Conferences

Certain professionals engaging in professional research or attending a professional conference or meeting may either be authorized to travel to Cuba under a general license or request a specific license.

General Licenses — the following two types of travel are authorized by a general license to travel to Cuba:

  • Full-time professionals conducting professional research in their professional areas of a non-commercial, academic nature and whose research will comprise a full work schedule in Cuba and have a substantial likelihood of dissemination; and
  • full-time professionals attending a professional conference or meeting in Cuba organized by an international professional organization (not headquartered in the U.S. or Cuba) that regularly sponsors meetings or conferences in other countries. The purpose of the meeting or conference cannot be to promote tourism or other commercial activity involving Cuba or for the purpose of fostering the production of biotechnological products.

A "general license" is a provision in the U.S. regulations that, in and of itself, authorizes certain categories of travel to Cuba without having to apply for permission to the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control, the agency that administers the U.S. travel regulations regarding Cuba.

Specific Licenses — specific licenses may also be requested for:

  • attending a professional conference or meeting organized by Cubans; or
  • professional research not authorized by a general license, such as professional research by a person who is not a full-time professional.

To obtain a specific license, application must be made to OFAC.

For more information, see the official U.S. regulations regarding travel to Cuba (the Cuban Assets Control Regulations — 31 C.F.R. Part 515), available at

To Engage In Travel-Related Transactions To Cuba:

Terms and Conditions

< Return to the home page